Friday, October 2, 2009

diptych of the week: typical morning


(click for bigger version)

[left]: Berkeley, CA
[right]: Mumbai, India
At the music school, we have class with our guru every morning. He's a big deal, the head honcho. When he arrives on the floor, everyone frenetically moves to open the door, turn on the lights, make him comfortable, and then settle into class quickly. We never really know when he's going to come though. It could be 9:30 AM, 10:00, 10:15 or anywhere in between. Since my bedroom door is exactly opposite the classroom door (pictured here), most mornings I am peeking out my door every 3 minutes to make sure I haven't missed his arrival. The tell-tale sign is if his slippers are on the mat...in which case you better get your butt inside because he's waiting. (I should add that he's one of the gentlest people I've ever ever come in contact with. Out of respect and humility, the tradition is to keep the guru from waiting on his students.)

No comments:

Post a Comment